In the dark shadows of the night loveliness may surround us and we would not know it. This beautiful night moth, like a pearl hidden in the folds of an oyster, must be searched out and found in the darkness to be appreciated. Such a moth sometimes comes to a light, but more often it is captured by putting out a sweet bait on tree trunks to which the moths come. Such a bait is one made of a mixture of decaying bananas, fermented beer and molasses, which some moths seem to love. The collector then goes out very quietly in the night darkness, carrying a flashlight, turning the light carefully on the trees where the bait has been put. What a mysterious adventure this becomes when you see such beauties of the night as the Pearly Wood-nymph of the under-wing moths sipping greedily at the sweet lure.
Continue reading “Pearly Wood Nymph 珍珠木仙女 (Family Noctuidae, Nocturnal Moths)”
In the grasses, in the meadows, by the wood’s edges, down along the sparkling streams, the coppers play. Merry is their dancing and happy their flight from flower to flower. The under-wings are duller than the bright-colored upper-wings so that their defense against enemies is not often to fly from them, but to hide quickly in the grass or flowers, cling to a stem and fold the wings together. The dull colors merge with the foliage around them, hiding them. But sometimes one is seen to fly right into the heart of a copper-colored flower and then the wings are spread flat so that the bright upper wing color merges with the flower’s bright colors.
Continue reading “Lustrous Copper 光彩夺目的铜蝴蝶 (Family Lycaenidae, Coppers, Blues and Hairstreaks)”
Lung Cancer is the number one cause of cancer related deaths which is at 22%. Lung Cancer is the most common type of cancer in the world as evidenced by 46,403 new cases diagnosed in the United Kingdom in 2014 as per Jones & Baldwin (2018). Incidence of Lung Caner had shifted from a marked decline in the male population to an increased incidence in the female populace. There is also an improved survival rate of Lung Cancer among patients who have been diagnosed of the disease at different stages from 24.5% to 36.7% in 1995. This one-year survival rate has been attributed to the advancements in diagnosis and treatment (Gavin &Baldwin,2018).
Continue reading “Lung Cancer 肺癌 (Reading & Sharing)”
Hypothyroidism is a condition that comes from your thyroid gland producing inadequate amounts of thyroid hormones in the bloodstream. Common symptoms of hypothyroidism include fatigue, sensitivity to cold, constipation, dry skin, weight gain, puffy face, hoarseness, muscle weakness, elevated cholesterol, muscle aches, tenderness, stiffness, joint pain, swelling, irregular or heavy menstrual periods in women, thinning hair, depression, impaired memory, and slowed heart rate (Mayo Clinic, 2018).
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Weight gain
- Complaints of cold hands and feet
- Temperature and pulse become subnormal; patient cannot tolerate cold and desires increased room temperature
- Reduced attention span; impaired short-term memory
- Severe constipation
- Generalized appearance of thick, puffy skin; subcutaneous swelling in hands, feet, and eyelids
- Thinning hair, loss of the lateral one-third of eyebrow
- Menorrhagia or amenorrhea
- Neurologic signs include polyneuropathy, cerebellar ataxia, muscle aches or weakness, clumsiness, prolonged deep tendon reflexes
- Hyperlipoproteinemia and hypercholesterolemia
- Enlarged heart on chest x-ray
- Increased susceptibility to all hypnotic and sedative drugs and anesthetic agents
- Syndrome of subclinical hypothyroidism: state in which the patient is asymptomatic and the free T4 level is within the normal range; however, the TSH level is elevated, suggesting impending thyroid gland failure. Therefore, many clinicians may elect to treat this condition as if the patient were symptomatic.
Continue reading “Hypothyroidism 甲状腺功能减退”
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis 桥本氏甲状腺炎 is primary hypothyroidism caused by an autoimmune disease. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis occurs in pregnancy in approximately the same ratio as it occurs in the general female population.
Continue reading “Hypothyroidism 甲状腺功能减退 in Pregnancy (Reading & Sharing)”