Asthma is a chronic reactive airway disorder that is a long term pulmonary disease with airflow resistance causing episodic airway obstruction from bronchospasms, increased mucus secretion, and mucosal edema. In people with asthma these airways are chronically inflamed making them hypersensitive to triggers.
Current statistics show:
- Approximately 25 million people in America have asthma. 1 in 13 people.
- 7.6% of adults, 8,4% of children have asthma.
- More women, 9.7% ….than men, 5.4% have asthma.
- More boys than girls have asthma.
- More children than adults have asthma.
- African-Americans are three times as likely to be hospitalized and to die from asthma.
- 13.4% of African-American children compared to 7.4% of white children have asthma.
(CDC Medical Review, 2018)